Maduwanwela Walawwa in Sri LankaPublished 2 months ago by LankaTricks
Maduwanwela Walawwa is a historical landmark in Sri Lanka. It is located in the Maduwanwela, Kolonna area between Embilipitiya and Suriyakanda in the Ratnapura District of Sabaragamuwa Province. This Walawwa is away approximately 207 km from Colombo.
King Wimaladharmasuriya II (1687-1706 A.D.) gave the land of this Walawwa with a deed to the Maduwanwela Maha Mohottala, and he built this Walawwa in the 1700s. Then, in the reign of King Veera Parakrama Narendrasingha (1725 A.D), Maduwanwela Wijayasundara Ekanayake Abayakoon Mudhiyanse converted this Walawwa into a permanent building. After, it was expanded several times by the Maduwanwela family until 1905. The final expansion was undertaken by Wickramasingha Wijayasundara Ekanayake Abayakoon Mudhiyanse Ralahamilage Sir James Williams Maduwanwela Maha Disawe (1877-1905 A.D.).
In 1905, Maduwanwela Walawwa had 121 rooms, 21 inner courtyards, and 80,000 acres of land. Currently, 42 rooms and seven inner courtyards are available in this Walawwa. Also, a courthouse with seating space for 100 people, furniture, and the equipment used for punishments are still available in this place. Travelers can see the large painting of Maduwanwela Maha Disawe in the living room of this place. After the death of Maduwanwela Maha Disawe, the last of the Maduwanwela family, this Walawwa was transferred to Sir Francis Molamure. In 1974, it was transferred to the Department of Archaeological and converted into a museum. Maduwanwela Walawwa is a milestone in Sri Lankan architecture.